Music speaks to me. It’s my vice to block out negativity, frustrations and stresses that creep into my everyday life. It’s gotten me through broken relationships, the loss of loved ones and days I’d given up on myself.
Here are my saviours:
- My life is in your hands – When Kirk Franklin sings he commands your attention. And yes it’s a gospel song and I have no qualms about that. The message is clear… no matter what comes your way; the God of your understanding will comfort you and give you the courage to carry on. My favourite line: “Don’t you give up”.
2. Something inside so strong – Labi Siffre was inspired to write this song during the apartheid era and the lyrics stir my soul. It’s the song I play when people think I’m a pushover and don’t believe I’ll succeed in living my dream. It reinforces my purpose and drives my ambition.
3. You raise me up – When instrumental direction and Josh Groban intertwine you get a composition that lights a fire within. Another one for my creator whose lifted me up countless times, dried my tears and gave me hope to face another day. My favourite line: “I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raise me up to more than I can be”.
4. Hero – Mariah Carey has to feature on this list, not because I’m biased and she is my number one singer… I consider this to be one of the greatest songs of all time. It helped me through my first break-up and gave me the strength to carry on. I came out wiser, determined to establish myself and not depend on a man to take care of me.
5. The greatest love of all – A song originally sung by George Benson and resurrected by Whitney Houston. It comforts my inner child, affirming my strongpoints, teaching me to love myself despite my shortcomings.
6. The climb – A Miley Cyrus track that captures the unpredictability of life in the form of a mountain that plants itself in your path. No matter how hard you wish it away it refuses to budge and you’re forced to claw all the way to the top. The journey reveals a great lesson… that I can’t always win and need to be patient to get to the other side like a soldier.
7. Somewhere over the rainbow – This is a magical song… not only for the fine voices that have sung it through the years but for the beautiful message it encapsulates… that anything is possible if you just believe. I love this rendition by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, he has a voice that is both soothing and refreshing 🙂
8. Skyscraper – Demi Lovato is a powerhouse. Her songs are laced with emotion and I lose myself in the lyrics. This song tears down my defences and makes me want to conquer the world.
9. It’s my life – A little bit of rock ‘n roll makes me feel like a champion and Bon Jovi does it brilliantly. The lyrics are the motto to my existence… I only have one life and I do what makes me happy. My favourite line “My heart is like an open highway, like Frankie said I did it my way, I just wanna live when I’m alive.” Couldn’t have said it better guys!
10. Music of my heart (‘N Sync and Gloria Estefan) – A song of gratitude to all those precious souls who helped me through it all. My circle of love… the one’s who never gave up on me, who held my hand, wiped away tears and continued to support me in every way. A massive thank you, I love you all tremendously and appreciate you unconditionally ❤